Labels

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

It's not me, It's YOU REVIEW, QUOTES and EXCERPTION by Mhairi McFarlane



This book is cool. That's my first comment. The thing about me is that I don't enjoy reading if I can predict what's going to happen at every turns. But this book? I can't predict what's next. TRUST ME, I'm pretty good guessing the possible plot.
Well, I can guess the plot in general tho. As soon as I read about a character, I know how important he/she is gonna be and how he/she is gonna affect the whole story.

This book is amazing. Don't misunderstand, you won't feel your blood boiling your excitement thrilling but, the plot is not bad. True, it's not that fluffy. BUT it's real. The book give me feelings of sympathy with the characters and convinced me that this could happen in real world. (I have a habit of comparing fictional worlds and real world, my bad)

SO, Shall we take a visit to a piece of book?

He sat down heavily on the frayed yellow velvet sofa, at a right angle to where she was sitting.
‘Say something, Dee.’ He sounded gratifyingly shaky.
‘What am I supposed to say? And don’t call me Dee.’
Silence. Apart from the clatter of Parsnip’s unclipped toenails on tiles, as he skittered back from the kitchen and settled into his basket in the hallway.
She was expected to open this conversation?
‘How did it start?”
Paul stared at the fireplace. ‘She came into the bar one night.’
The same way I did, Delia thought.
‘When?’
‘About three months ago.’
‘And?’
‘We got chatting.’
There was a pause. Paul had a cardiac arrest pallor again. It looked as if giving this account was as bad as the original discovery. Good.
‘You got chatting, and next thing you know, your penis is inside her?’
‘I never meant for this to happen, Dee … Delia. It’s like some nightmare alternate reality. I can’t believe it myself.’
‘How did you end up shagging her?!’ Delia screamed and Paul almost started with fright. Offstage, Parsnip gave a small squeak. Paul put his glass down with a bump, and his palms together in his lap.

SO umm, Paul and Delia were in a relationship for many years. Delia found out he was cheating and... there, The story starts like this, simple but... exciting!
So she moved out. To London, yay! New career, new house, new guys ;)

He turned and scanned the room, as if looking for someone. Oh, wait? No you don’t. Not you. Delia realised she’d been expecting a Stephen Treadaway-type little oik from the Chronicle, but this Dorothy was no longer in Kansas.
His eyes snagged on her and her spirits plummeted. He stared hard, as if she was an anomaly in this universe, in her pink checked gingham. She loved her diner waitress dress, but under this man’s gaze she felt instantly uncomfortable. Delia had been found out. She didn’t belong.
As she swallowed hard and hastily stuffed the folder full of secrets out of sight, he strode towards her.
‘Delia. Twist & Shout?’ he said, with a note of question in his voice, when he reached her. She nodded and he did a mechanical lift-and-drop smile that didn’t reach his eyes. Delia’s previous burst of happiness was shredded, in ribbons at her feet.
‘Adam West.’
He thrust a hand out and Delia shook it. It was a cool, confident palm of course, and Delia was grateful hers hadn’t had the time to get clammy. Why did he have to throw her off-balance with his blinding genetic superiority? It wasn’t fair, the beautiful automatically outranked you.
‘I’d booked and they said you weren’t here. I didn’t realise you’d taken a different table,’ he said.
‘Sorry,’ Delia said, unsure if she was being accused of something.
‘Did you want to eat?’ he said. Well, we did say brunch.
‘Not really …’ Delia lied. She wanted the double eggs on muffins with yellow sauce or even steak au poivre with shoestring fries – and for the man opposite her not to be there.
‘Sure? They do a good waffle, I’m told.’
‘Are you eating?’
‘No.’
‘I’m fine.’
If this was some sort of waffle-based power play, Delia wasn’t biting.

Hmm, Adam West. Now, what had Delia got herself into?
This book isn't exactly something you wants to read to kill time. This book is something you want to read because you need to take a break from your life. You'll learn something from this book. The character of Delia is that, she isn't amazing. But she's smart, this book is cool. I mean it. The life decisions she made isn't easy but necessary. So, now time for QUOTES.

Uncovering an affair wasn’t a one big fact headline story. It was like Metroyshka dolls, lies inside lies inside lies.

Some friendships got longer without getting deeper.

Nothing worthwhile was without risk. You had to decide whether your feelings were strong enough to make it a risk worth taking.

That’s the whole story of how I was so stupid as to risk everything that mattered to me, on something so meaningless.
Yeah, I won't exactly give out 5 full stars but this book definitely worth your time ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment