Labels

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Beautiful Broken Rules by Kimberly Lauren Review and Excerption



I just wanna say that you shouldn't let your expectation get high. The plot is fairly nice, not bad. BUT, the events are just... not right. The writing is just like a fan-fiction. Things aren't consequential. They are happening from here to there.
The characters are not... exciting. They're like sex-driven beats. Everyone wants to have sex with Emerson (Female Main Lead) who has commitment issues and have rules for sleeping around.

I'd list a lot more exciting fanfics than this.

BUT... you can look forward to some steamy moments. AND twins brothers. Yeah, you guys see that right. TWIN babe!

Well, for me, to describe this book in one word, I'd use "unrealistic" or "scattering".

You can't just relate to the characters. That book is too focus on events right, those events make story more interesting. But I'd prefer if the author explained character's way of thinking or their feelings or their personality.


He frustratingly ran his fingers through his sweaty brown hair. 
“Fuck, Em, you’re going to ruin everything. If y’all fight or he upsets you, Quinn will take your side, and she’ll leave if it upsets you too much. I know she will.”
I turned around and moved to kneel in between his outstretched legs, facing him. He had a sad look on his face. I was absolutely sure this had more to do with Quinn possibly not living next door to him and less to do with Jaxon and I potentially fighting. As one of his best friends, all I wanted to do was make him happy again.
“Jaxon and I are adults. He knows about me, and knows about my rules. He knew all of this, weeks before. He “knows I don’t plan on being his or anyone else’s wife or girlfriend, for that matter. This is all for fun,” I said raising my hands in the air.
“Ems, do you truly believe that. Do you really think you’re never going to marry anybody?” he asked.
“Absolutely.”
He sighed. “You really should let someone in some day.”

I needed to stop where this was going. I grabbed his face and looked into his hazel eyes. 
“The point is Jaxon and I are fine. We aren’t fighting, no one’s moving away. Are you kidding me, we begged you for two years to move in next to us. We aren’t going anywhere now that we’ve finally got you.” I laughed and smiled, happy when he laughed along with me.
We were interrupted by a familiar voice. 
“Dude, what the hell, I thought we were meeting up at the lifeguard stand?” Jaxon was standing above us, looking down at me but talking to Cole. 
He frowned at my position in front of Cole and I slowly moved my hands down from his face. I hated that I felt awkward about my close friendship with Cole in front of him. I moved back to sit next to Cole’s side again.
“Chill out, asshole, I came across Sleeping Beauty here, and stopped to talk,” Cole responded while swatting at Jaxon’s legs.
I shoved at him and said, “I wasn’t sleeping, I was just enjoying the sun.”
Jaxon gave me an angry, confused look. 
“Sleeping? Emerson, you can’t sleep on the beach out here alone.”

Sometimes things aren't boring to read this. But just that.... I dunno exactly what is missing but I know something about this book isn't complete. 
So, 
There are three bestfriends, Emerson, Quinn and Cole. 
Quinn and Cole are like you know more than friends. Jaxon and his brother are COLE's friends during high school. So... the whole plot is about how Cole didn't want to ruin the friendship between two groups and eventually things fall apart. 
Hmm... go read it if you are looking for something fancy and light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment